Monday 28 January 2019

Stampin'Up scrapbook layout - my most pinned photo EVER! How Pinterest can work for you too!



I've been checking out my pins on Pinterest and trying to work out what works well and what doesn't.  I've been using Pinterest for several years and one of the things I have noticed is that its not always possible to know what pins will "take off" and what won't. But one thing is certain, if you have a blog post or pin that does really well on Pinterest, then it makes sense to study that and try to understand why.  Right now I have around 24,000 followers on Pinterest and the number continues to grow each and every day!

The photo you see above is one of my most pinned photos EVER.... by that I mean that it has been pinned literally THOUSANDS of times over a number of years.  Why?  I think the combination of colours that are pleasing to the eye (complimentary blues and greens) and shapes that work together well makes for a striking combination.  I actually created this layout for a class many years ago.... it was a lot of punching, but came together so well!

Here is my tip for today.... Pinterest is fabulous for those of us in highly visual markets (like mine).  But if you want to get your pictures and posts seen, then getting them onto Pinterest is a must!  Pinterest is by far my number one traffic generator for my blog.  It drives traffic like nothing else!  Here's a couple of quick tips to help you:

1. Pin regularly... not just your own content but other relevant content too.  You'll set yourself up as a regular contributor and somewhat of an expert in your field.  I make sure to regularly pin each and every blog post I create (so each post also contains an attractive, relevant photo)... remember Pinterest is a visual search engine!  Set up boards that showcase your products, and feel free to set up boards that show what you are personally interested in.  You are not only about your business.  Having different types of boards helps people connect with who you are.

2. Carefully curate what you pin.... by that I mean pin relevant and high quality material.  It can be a range of topics and subjects... its ok to show people that you have many interests.  People will find you because something about your range of interests will resonate with them too.  We attract people to us that are like us in many ways.  And thats your target audience.   Put some thought into who your target audience actually is... and pin accordingly.

3. Use keywords in your subject titles.  When I post I am looking to use words that my target audience will possibly be searching for. It makes me easier to find.

4. Join group boards!  Group boards in your area of interest are a fantastic source of traffic.  Instead of pinning to the wider audience and just hoping that the right people will find you, group boards allow you to pin directly to where the right people are already hanging out.

This is just a few of many tips that work well on Pinterest, and they are a great place to start.

Finally, like my pin above, remember that Pinterest pins have longevity!  Im still getting repins and engagement from this pin from years ago (I think 2014??) so you want your pins to be able to stand the test of time!  But this makes Pinterest very powerful as opposed to other platforms..... Instagram or Facebook photographs tend to just get pushed down in the feed and lost over time.  But Pinterest pins keep getting attention - every time someone repins the pin it becomes relevant in the Pinterest feed again. Which is why my hexagon scrap layout keeps popping up over and over again!

I hope you've enjoyed my little chat about Pinterest today and how powerful it can be!  Its a fabulous marketing tool, and you can use it to drive traffic to your blog and increase your reach to your customers.

If you would like to check out my Pinterest page and maybe even follow it please click HERE.

Happy pinning!

Linda D

No comments: